Last updated on May 6th, 2018 at 09:40 am
First off, I would like to say that I’m proud and delighted to have my personal blog back
. It feels good to be able to say what you want to say and write whatever you deem fit and I really hope we both enjoy it together like we did in the past *wink*
If you are still blogging on the .wordpress or .blogspot domain name. I’m sorry, you are 10 years behind the world and that is a crime on it’s own. Godaddy and a few other domain name sellers has made domain so cheap and affordable. Godaddy (of course, best for Blogger and .Wordpress platforms) recently sold domain names for as cheap as $9 which I believe is a way below your disposal. In 2014 any serious blogger should be hosting his/her blog on a custom domain name.
5 Reasons Why I will Encourage you to Host your Blog on your Domain Name
Below are some reasons why I feel you should upgrade to a top level domain name.
- Attract me: I am topping my own list because of how valuable I am to your website. You can see me as anything but for now I want you to see me as an advertiser. We all need some of those shiny papers right? Just how much will your .blogspot.com or .wordpress.com be appealing to me? If you are running your blog on a free sub-domain name it is often difficult to impress advertisers except in a case where you boast of massive traffic or good social media coverage.
- Bragging Rights: As long as you are blogging on a free sub-domain it, remains the property of your blog host. To properly represent your business online it is more appropriate and professional to use a custom domain name (e.g. www.yourdomain.com).
- Branding: Hosting your blog on your domain means that you can develop and promote your own brand using your blog. You can make your blog headings similar to your website.
- Search Engine Coverage: When it all boils down to search engine optimization (SEO) and advertising, it is totally indispensable to ‘own’ your own blog because you will be advertising and optimizing your own domain and your own brand. It is also important you choose domain name that conatian your keyword. This will increase your chances to be discovered on search engines.
- It is a Crime: I know how much you wished domain names are free. Too bad, wishes are not horses. At $10/month you can get a top level domain name this days which really makes me feel bad about the idea of sticking to a free sub-domain name when you intend making over $100/month on your blog. Isn’t that criminal?
Choosing a Custom Domain Name
With that being said, lets look at some tips you should consider while choosing your custom domain name:
– Choose a domain name that contain your blog keyword.
– If you have an offline business, make sure your domain name contain the name of your offline business or consider changing the name of your offline business.
– Use names that are search engine friendly. Example of such names is www.beauty-saloon-aba.com. This kind of website will always pop up each time someone is looking for ‘beauty saloon in aba’ on a search engine.
– Make your domain name human friendly. www.beauty-saloon-aba.com will often prove difficult for humans to remember. Try using something like www.beautysaloonaba.com. This way, it is both search engine and human friendly.
Important Links to Setup your Custom Domain
Did you get the answer you were searching for?
Save hours of searching online or wasting money testing unnecessary plugins, get in touch with me and let's discuss a suitable plan for your project. Best thing about this service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to an expereinced Oxwall/Skadate developer.
Get Answers for Free!
Ask a question related to this topic and get immediate answers from other community members in 48hrs or less. Contribute by answering members questions.
Whether it's a custom plugin, theme or dedicated support needed to get you started on your project, get professional 24/7 support tailored to your need.
Get in Touch
Or just leave a comment...
Other platforms not listed above: Just make a little Google search 🙂